Yoga is a practice of movements that includes working on strength, breathing, and flexibility of the body. To get better at it, one has to practice yoga stretches for flexibility. It is not a boring ritual of some exercise moves but a whole collection of various poses. The poses require concentration, and the more you focus on them and relax your body the more you enjoy them.
Generally, yoga is a very essential part of our everyday routine if we get constant with it. It teaches you self-control and self-love which are the two most important aspects of life. Like any other task, the beginning of yoga may be difficult for you. However, you may start yoga when overweight or a beginner and find comfort in it.
What Is Deep Stretch Yoga?
Most of us live in a bubble where yoga is a slow boring process that does nothing but calms us for a while. Those willing to lose-weight do not prefer yoga. However, this belief is incorrect because yoga is more than some slow poses.
Deep stretch yoga is an energetic class that includes stretching your body. It focuses on your key muscles which surround the hips, skeletal muscles, and upper back. It starts with warming up your body, which helps heat and prepares the muscles for an active stretch. You do not spend your time on a specific pose during deep stretch yoga but keep moving between poses. But if you are wondering if it’s something intense then let me clear your worry. It is low-impact work on your body that strengthens you and brings the best out of you. To progressively increase your flexibility, you can also learn yoga without a class or teacher.
Who Can Do Deep Stretch Yoga?
Deep stretch yoga includes full body yoga stretch which is good for people of all ages. This type of yoga does not specify for anybody but should be done by everybody including athletes, new practitioners, reservists, and even beginners. If you are new to the yoga branch and know nothing about it, you can still join deep stretch yoga because it starts you from the very basics. Deep stretch yoga doesn’t even require a flexible or experienced body so if you want to go further in yoga, you must start with the deep stretch yoga practice.
If you have a tiresome routine, eating disorders, stress a lot, drug addiction, or maybe spend a lot of time glued to the screens this will assist you in bringing a peaceful change in your life.
Principles One Must Follow For Deep Stretch Yoga?
- Observe Patience: There might be times your body would overreact but you have to make sure to be slow with your poses. Give them the required time and space.
- Stay Immobile: Gradually give each pose around 60 – 70 seconds and then move to 5 minutes so that your body can take the time to breathe and ease up on you.
- Be Empathetic With Your Body: Relax in your pose and maintain immobility. If you can not hold a pose, do not race out of it but calmly come back to your original position.
- Tristhana: This is a combination of three elements that help you control your mind and the body. The three elements are breathing, posture and energy.
- Observe Kindness: Start with loving your body and kindly switch poses. Do not overpressure your body and slowly stop if you feel discomfort or pain. Do not force yourself to stretch more than your body can take at a time.
- Adjustment: Gradually you will move to an advanced level, but before that, you have to learn to make the right movements.
Advantages Of The Deep Stretch Yoga
- Brings You Peace: Yoga helps you feel serene. You feel refreshed all the time. When you relax you feel away from the world. Yoga helps you meditate and concentrate on your body and its circulation. When you practice yoga regularly it benefits your mind by calming it down. Meditation is a strong tool to relax your mind and let your mind slow down for a while. You eventually focus on your breathing and when your breathing slows down, the entire body gets slowed down and relaxed.
- Anybody Can Do It: There are no age boundaries for deep stretch yoga. No matter what size, weight, or age this kind of yoga is magic for all. If you are an elderly person or too small for the gym, try yoga because it will transform you like nothing else. Are you ready to try something that works for you no matter what?
- Gives You A Clean Skin: Yoga gives your face a deep cleanse because when you reduce stress it automatically shows on your face. When you do deep stretch yoga you sweat so sweating increases the blood circulation on your face and brings more oxygen to your dead skin cells. This helps in nourishing your skin, removing the tired look, and bringing a fresh and glowing touch to your skin. Ain’t it just amazing?
- Health Is Wealth: Yoga improves your health and strengthens your bones because you focus on your breathing. This automatically improves your digestive system too. Slow gestures and deep breathing increase blood flow and warm up muscles. In the meantime, holding a pose can build strength. Hence, this will take your body towards a fitter and healthier side.
- Reduces Back Pain: It reduces the inflexibility of the back. When you practice yoga your range of motion increases which intensifies the circulation of blood in your body. This eventually makes your back better and increases your back strength eventually. Sitting idly just tightens your back muscles so it takes a while for it to get flexible and ready for a day full of movements.
- Reduces Stress: When you work day and night you go through physical and mental exhaustion. By being a regular student of yoga you forget about the exhaustion of your day. Your physical posture basically relieves your tension and releases any physical tension in your body like knots in the muscles. Hence, you perform your other physical activities including your daily tasks with better speed and movement because you start feeling energetic.
Disadvantages Of Deep Stretch Yoga
- You face period discomfort and severe bleeding.
- Suffering from back pain.
- Might lead to pelvic pain.
- It can cause injuries if you do a pose incorrectly.
Deep Stretch Yoga Poses
Let’s discuss some daily yoga stretches for flexibility:
- Downward Facing Dog: This pose is one of the yoga stretches for legs and arms. It loosens the backs of your legs. It even helps in stretching the shoulders. One of the benefits of this pose includes better digestion. You just move onto your hands and knees while doing this pose. Remember to keep your toes tucked. You have to keep your shoulders up and exhale and inhale properly. Try maintaining your position for a minute at least. Go with yoga leg stretchers for beginners if you are new to it.
- The Camel Pose: This might be a challenging one but with better practice, you can increase your stretching power. It simply requires bending your back and kneeling with your thighs. The thighs must be perpendicular to the floor. Your hands must hold your heels. Just keep your breathing proper by inhaling and exhaling and stay in this position for at least 20 seconds. Then gradually move up, and avoid racing your body. This pose helps in increasing your shoulder flexibility and opens up your chest.
- Triangle Pose: This pose stretches your entire body. You just have to stand straight, make sure your feet are facing forward, and now stretch your arms to one of your sides. Slowly move either of your feet slightly inward and the other away at a 90-degree angle. Make sure the direction of your thigh and knee are the same. And now stretch one of your arms to the floor. Stay in the position for at least 30 seconds. This pose benefits your whole body’s adjustment and balance.
- Child Pose: This pose helps in reducing your stress and relaxes your mind. It increases the circulation in your body. You have to kneel on your knee and stretch your spine to the floor facing forward and go down on your belly and the chest.
- Head To Knee Pose: You have to basically sit on a mat extending one of your legs and pressing the other on the inside of its thigh. Then slowly inhale and raise your arms over your head. Fold forward on your hips to the extended leg and exhale. Hold your foot, leg, or the floor for about 1 to 2 minutes. This pose helps in the flexibility of your body and increases blood flow in it. It also helps to relieve stress levels.
How Can You Stretch Deeper?
Most of us want to be flexible but tend to skip ways of getting flexible. We will share some tips with you.
- Just warm your muscles up because warm muscles stretch faster. Before stretching, warm up your body by high knees, walking, or running so that stretching gets easier.
- Take help from your chest and not your head. Keep your back straight and push your chest to touch your legs when you are practicing upper body stretches.
- When you feel your body is relaxed then is the right time to stretch. Be gentle with your body and slowly stretch but give it some time.
- To avoid any muscular tension disturbing your stretching, keep inhaling and exhaling properly. Even breathing makes your stretching easy.
- In between your stretching give your body some rest so that it is motivated and energetic to perform a particular stretch.
- Stop stretching if you feel pain. You might overpressure yourself during lower body yoga stretches so just go at a calm pace.
Frequently Asked Questions
Deep yoga stretching is quite beneficial for you even though it requires a little effort it is not something you cannot pull off. Just know that if you will start with loving your body you will enjoy anything. Practice it with motivation and will, also stay constant to get better at it. If you are new to the yoga field, start slowly but I am sure you will enjoy the experience. We wish you all the best in your practice and improvement.